Saturday, November 19, 2005

All about Ian


So something isn't right here. This is my blog, why aren't I talking about myself yet? So this is me, in my "happy, smiley, suitable-for-commercials" headshot. I've been auditioning off and on lately; this week was 2 student film auditions (which went terribly), and 1 KFC Commercial audition (which was... odd). The student films went poorly, namely on account of my total lack of preparation. I'm still amazed that I could recieve the audition sides days in advance, yet still find myself with absolutely no time to prepare. Which sucks, because I felt like I was right for one of the parts (that of a sardonic early 20's loafer). The other part (a late 20's yuppie who discovers his murdered wife) was a bit of a stretch. Especially considering that I left work, biked in the rain for 20 minutes, only to discover that I had to do that particular scene. With no preparation. Needless to say, lots of empty shouting was the best I could muster.

On the other hand, I've been nice and busy recently with my sketch-comedy trio, Approximately 3 Peters. This is the part where I would ordinarily link you to our website, but we're not that organized. Yet. However we did have a couple of decent shows at Corktown Comedy and at the Rivoli's SketchComedy Lounge. After that we had some great shows at the Bad Dog Theatre's Sketch Night and Theatresports night. I'm really enjoying that theatre (Bad Dog); great social-club feeling. That, and I'm starting to get my improv legs back a bit, which feels nice.

Still, it's hard to be in a city (and especially an industry) that constantly makes you doubt absolutely everything about yourself. It's like the one profession where you shouldn't take anything personally invariably leads to taking things the most personally. It doesn't help that Toronto is a town that encourages everyone to get wrapped up in themselves. Everyone is too busy for everyone else, and then they all complain that there is nobody around.

I just ate a really great Italian sausage with pickles, bacon bits, and corn relish. Really puts thing in perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home