Monday, November 21, 2005

It's already fallen apart

Well crap. Three days I've had this blog, and I already missed a day. I guess it was inevitable. Not that I had any specific notions about posting every single day, but this still sets a bad precedent. Ah well, I guess you were right, Riles. This is harder than it looks.

So today I got an e-mail from a friend, reminding me of a conversation we had only a few weeks ago.

"I'm surprised I have to say. I faintly remember a conversation in which we berated the conusuming irrationality of blogs and technology in general."

In my defense, my complaint about blogs was how people post personal details on them, and then act surprised when this blows up in their faces. But there's the rub - how do you make your blog interesting unless you include personal, slacious, and dare I say - sexy details? (note to my mom: I'm not going to reveal sexy details). Well sorry to disappoint, but since this blog will likely only ever be read by friends and family, my revelations on here will likely remain fairly generic. Though who knows? Like the famous stand up comedian who draws upon personal experiences for their material, perhaps if I draw a real audience, my policy may change (if you're wondering what constitutes a real audience, I basically mean strangers. In other words, if you are reading this, you probably don't count). What a thought - the less personal my audience is, the more personal I get.

So I borrowed a spiffy book from a co-worker ("Guru: My Days with Del Close" by Jeff Griggs). For those not in the know, Del Close was a Second City legend: an improviser, director, teacher, genius, junkie, and pagan. One of my favourite quotes about improv thus far:

"To a child, apathy is a greater abuse than anything that can be done physically. It's the same with your scene work. Lack of emotion is lethal. Love, anger, hatred, lust - all go a long way to show urgency, desire, and caring in every scene." Del Close

So as I'm reading I noticed that my boss has highlighted sections of his copy. I love seeing the random passages that other people highlighted, and guessing at their significance. Inventing my own reasons why someone else found something important enough to be worth remembering. It's almost as interesting as the book itself.

I can't imagine why anyone buys new books.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home