Saturday, December 03, 2005

Big Saturday Post

When I was about 11 or 12 years old, I became really scared of the idea of heaven. Not of heaven itself, that has always sounded like a swell place to me. What specifically made me uneasy was the idea of life going on forever. One day I actually started thinking about the idea of the afterlife stretching on forever, and never actually coming to an end. And I don't mean this in a jokey "How many conversations can you have with Jimi Hendrix before heaven gets boring kind of way". Just the idea of there being no end scared me. Because if there's no end to something, I can't imagine there being a purpose to it either. And I guess that's still one of my biggest fears in my adult/ mortal life - not having a purpose.

So yeah, when I was a young adult anytime that I would think about this idea of infinity that I couldn't possibly comprehend (note to my readers: I 'm not too much farther along yet), I would feel a little bit dizzy. If I thought too long, I would actually feel the earth spiraling out from under me while my brain tried to come to a comfortable solution. I haven't actually thought about this in a while, but this week I've been reading "Slaughterhouse Five" and it's reminded me of what little I know about Theoretical Physics. So apparently Einstein has said that time is an illusion; a way for us to see the universe with out our heads exploding. I may be remembering this wrong, but I'm pretty sure that he meant past, present, and future are irrelevant - that all things exist at once all the time. So maybe that's the answer to my theological dilemma - math. Science and Religion: Working together to help Ian sleep at night.

So I bought a laptop this week, and I'm pretty jazzed about it. Ironically, I'm not writing this post from said laptop - I'm at work in the box office. I was going to wait to post something until I could post from my laptop, but then I realized I would already be beholden to my machine. And that's exactly what the machines want! First we're just rearranging our schedules for them; next thing we're sending someone back into the past to fight the machines and prevent Judgment Day.

Back to the laptop, I kind of went nutty and I got a 12" iBook, and I already enjoy it a great deal. There's not really a whole lot else to say about it - I'm just in that phase where I wanna show off my new toy. Bear with me. Props to my friend Andrew, who set me up with a BUNCH of Mac software last night. And to the good people at Best Buy, who seem to think that I'm deserving of good credit (of course, if most people woke up tomorrow with what I consider to be good credit, they'd jump out a window).

I love it, but I don't trust it.

5 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you see heaven as a continuance of life?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Okay, first off people need to sign these posts, or I have no idea who's writing them (unless that's your devious intention...). Secondly, I guess I used to think of heaven in terms of being a lot like regular life, yeah. Nowadays I assume it's something all bog and cosmic and crazy that I can't even comprehend. So I don't try.

~Ian

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger acurrie said...

"Your friend Andrew"? I thought I was your friend Andrew!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Okay people, again, if you do not sign your posts I do not know who you are. For the record, I know at least 6.5 Andrews. I have ranked them, in case anyone wants to see the list...

~Ian

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always leave my name with my comments! If you know any other Garby, I'll start leaving my full name.

Slaughterhouse Five is awesome... but Cat's Cradle is still my favourite Vonnegut. I read it one afternoon in Halifax while Riles and I were housesitting and while I usually don't dig sci-fi, I loved this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home